Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thanksgiving Countdown recipe #4

Ok, it has been a miserable day as far as the weather is concerned.... about 48 degrees and constant rain! I mean like "build an ark" kind of rain! We have had constant rain for 48 hours! YUCK! So, today I am going to share a recipe that I think is a nice diversion from the usual Thanksgiving Day side dishes and one that I thought would brighten up the bad weather day - Sunshine Salad! This is a congealed dish that could also be used as a dessert. I have no idea where this recipe came from. But, my mom used to make it all the time when I was younger! I really do love it! And, it makes me think of her!

Sunshine Salad

3 oz lime jello
1 cup boiling water
1 cup carbonated beverage like Sprite or Ginger Ale
1 cup crushed pineapple - drained (but save a little juice!)
1 1/2 bananas, sliced
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 beaten egg
1 pkg of Dream Whip - prepared

*mix jello with water and cool
*add beverage, pineapple, bananas, and marshmallows to jello and congeal
*after jello has congealed, combine sugar, egg and pineapple juice (about 1/2 cup or so), flour and cook until thickened and then cool
*spread topping on congealed jello mixture.

Enjoy!

No comments: