Thursday, December 23, 2010

working on teacher's gifts and a recipe to share!


(I am a little late with this post!)

What better thing to do on a snow day the week before Christmas than bake cookies!!???

Cameron and I worked really hard to get all of our teacher goodies ready to deliver the last day before the holiday break..... only to have yet another snow day the next day!!!! So, we had LOTS of cookies to eat all by ourselves!!!!

These cookies turned out so pretty this year and so tasty! In case you are not familiar with this recipe, I had to share. About 6 or so years ago, a very good friend served these at her daughter's birthday party and I HAD to know what they were. The recipe is as follows:

Devils Food Cookies

1 box Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake MIx
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

sugar for rolling

mix the first three ingredients. roll into small balls. then roll the balls in sugar. place on cookie sheet and bake 8 minutes on 350 degrees. the cookies will "crackle" slightly on top giving them the "hint" they are ready as well as looking pretty!

So, this is the recipe I have made for years now and the boys love them! However, about 2 months ago, I was craving something sweet and decided to make cookies. But, I did not have the devils food cake mix. Instead, I had milk chocolate. Well, what do you know, it worked and I liked it even better!!!!!!!

So then..... my "wheels" started spinning about cake mixes. I wondered if it worked with the milk chocolate, what about white cake mix, like a sugar cookie??? And, it did work and is delicious!!! Then... my wheels spun even more, and I wondered about doing red velvet for the holidays???? Ok, I did not actually end up trying the red velvet for the holidays, but I am sure it would work too! But, I did take the white cake mix version and made cookies but did not roll them in sugar. Instead I rolled them some gorgeous sugar cookie crystal sugars I found at Home Goods. They turned out so pretty - too pretty to eat! I packaged those up (as seen in the photos!) and those were supposed to be the teacher's treats. However, as I mentioned, they because our treats since there was not school the day before Christmas break. They were yummy!!!!!!!

No comments: